Monday, April 21, 2008

Playdough Anyone?

Last week my sister in-law, Johanna, asked if I would watch her kids Andrew and Hailey while she went to lunch with her friend. Andrew is eight and Hailey is seven so I started to think of ideas of what we could do knowing they may get bored with the toddler stuff we do day to day. If anyone has been around Andrew you know that he is a great kid but he is even greater when he is occupied with an activity. If he is not busy doing something he will surely find something to keep him busy weather it's something you want him to do or not. Playing outside popped into my mind but it happened to snow that day after it was 70 degrees the two days prior. Anyway I remembered when I was in Boise my sister laura made playdough with her kids numerous times and they loved it. I got online and googled a recipe. We had a lot of fun making it. However, I decided not to follow the instructions to put the food coloring in the water because I did not want our whole batch to be one color. Instead, I thought we would die the dough itself. Well that didn't turn out so hot. I was getting a little frustrated trying to get it to work. Andrew too was getting frustrated and kept spouting ideas of how we could fix it. Well I wasn't going to let the eight year old have a better idea then me. I worked and worked at it and couldn't get the color to turn out dark. Andrew decided to do his own thing and at this point I just let him do whatever cause I figured I had ruined the dough. Well of course that smart creative kid got the playdough to be distinctive dark colors. Way to go Andrew!


They played with the dough all afternoon long. Andrew built a castle and Hailey made cookies with Jane. Then they decided to open a pizza shop and I got to be the customer that called and ordered all the pizza's. It was a fun afternoon.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Sounds like a mess of fun! YOu are going to be one of those fun creative moms. I am so anal with messes my kids are going to end up hating me.

Kristin said...

Dude, I love playdough. But lets face it, you CAN'T play with it in a room with carpet. The carpet will NEVER be the same.