Friday, April 4, 2008

New HTPC

As you can see, my wife is pretty cheap, err thrifty. Well, I am too and I just built a new computer(htpc) for a pretty low price. Since all of you who read this blog are big computer nerds, I am confident you will excitedly read all that I have to say. Let me break the price down for you:

  • Computer Case and Power Supply: $21 on clearance at WorstBuy
  • GeForce 6200LE Video Card: $5 After Rebate at Frys.com
  • Intel Celeron 420 Conroe-L: $41 at Newegg.com
  • Corsair 1gb(2x512 mb) DDR2 PC 6400 Ram: $25 at Newegg.com
  • ABIT AB9 Pro Motherboard: $49 After Rebate at Newegg.com
  • Grand Total: $141
I already have some hard drives and an extra dvd drive to use, so $140 for a new system is pretty good if I do say so myself. I hear you snickering in the background at the Celeron processor. Let it be known that this little bad boy can easily handle 720p and 1080p videos from apple.com and they look nice. So far it can take everything I throw at it with the exception of a 1080p 40mbps video which is pretty ridiculous. I am pretty pleased so far. I have the celly overclocked from 1.6 ghz to 2.8 ghz currently and pushing for more(my goal is 3.2 which would be a 100% oc). Man I love screwing with new computers!
The case could use a little better cable job, but that's not important right now.


Thanks for tuning in. I am sure you enjoyed this post about my computer as much as I did putting it together.

3 comments:

Motherhill said...

I can't believe she is so smart. I am looking forward to seeing her.

Motherhill said...

I sent the blog to jacob. He needs to see it

Jared said...

Nice build for a computer. My father-in-law wants to build one, I should check out some of those deals that you used.