Saturday, August 8, 2009

5 Years! and counting....

Who would have thought nearly 10 years ago Sarah and I would end up married? When I first met her she was just the chic who sported a bunch of skater shirts and never seemed to wear a bra. Of course she seemed pretty cool, but did I think she was my future wife and become the mother of my two beautiful children? Of course, I never saw it coming. Besides, she must have been repulsed by me, what, with her well known metallophobia (fear of metal) and my hideous braces! Well, we managed to beat the odds (how she ever kissed my metal mouth is still a mystery to this day) and after 10 years of friendship and 5 great years of marriage, things have never been better.

I feel so lucky to have ended up with Sarah, she has truly always been a great inspiration to me. At times when she could have taken different paths in her life, she always seemed to choose the right one when it really counted amid major pressure from those around her. Her faith and testimony have always been a strong foundation for our relationship and many years ago was a catalyst for me in my desire to be a better person. Without Sarah walking into my life, who knows what decisions I would have made or where I may have ended up.

I'll never forget the first time I brought Sarah home to Monroe. It just so happened that my whole family (at least it seemed like everyone was there that weekend) was visiting from their respective places of residence which made for a great introduction to everyone! The image remains vivid in my mind of everyone sitting in the front room of my parents home and after about half an hour wondering how it was that I had convinced this great girl to make the trek to Monroe and admit to my parents that she was my girlfriend, let alone admit that she had actual interest in me. That day, I had a hard time explaining it myself. Lets just say that she must have seen some potential in me, afterall, that is what I always tell myself! She certainly made a believer out of my dad when we went golfing the next day and I didn't even show the least bit of frustration, let alone throw a club down the fairway! He knew this was the girl for me.

Back then I knew she was great, but I still didn't truly get how lucky I was to have her in my life. When I returned home from a 2 year trek through Mongolia I knew I didn't want to let her get away and she has been mine ever since. People may have thought we were crazy, but the thought of waiting any longer was the only thing that would have driven us bonkers.

It hasn't always been perfect, but what relationship is? I just know that we have our whole lives ahead of us to become better people, and that we can do it together alongside our children, as a family. That is truly what I am thankful for the most. Sarah has provided me with most everything worthwhile in life and I love her so much for that. As she likes to say, "She is the cheese to my macaroni".

Sarah, I just want you to know that I love you more than words could ever describe. You mean everything to me and I could never love anyone the way I love you. You have brought me so much joy over the years and I know that we have so much more in store for us in the future. Where does that road lead? Nobody knows, but one thing is certain, I don't want to take a single step in that journey without you, the love of my life. You are truly so beautiful, loving, kind, inspirational, sexy, I could go on and on. But most importantly you are the best wife I could dream of and a wonderful mother. I hope you have enjoyed these last five years as much as I have.

Here is to the last five years and all the years to come!

I love you,
Andrew

11 comments:

Top Model said...

Andrew, you just scored some points! I'm glad she did see something in you because now you are part of our family!

the coltons said...

awww, not many husbands would do this - and do it so well! that's pretty much the best anniversary gift i could ever ask for :)

congrats!

Megan said...

Impressive! Andrew that was a really sweet post. Plus, you used the word 'bonkers' - I swear no one besides me says that. LOL. Happy Anniversary!

Cynthia said...

I agree with Erin. That was so sweet of you Andrew! Im sure she'll cry big time reading this. She misses you so much, but you know that.
Congrats!

Sarah said...

What a wonderful surprise. This was the best gift I could ever have asked for and yes Cynthia I cried like a little baby. I love you babe! Thank you for making my day!

Unknown said...

i do what i can.

Johanna said...

Nice post, Andrew. Way to step up! We missed you last weekend. Can't wait to hear all about the trip.

pamc said...

What a great tribute to five years of marriage with Sarah. Sons take after their dad. . .especially when it comes to writing letters, or blogs in this case. Congratulations to both of you. Sarah, you are the woman!!!

The Guiness Family said...

This post comes of no surprise to me. You have always been that sweet, charasmatic little boy who is now a grown man with a wife and kids! I am glad you found each other because I already knew that I loved and adored you, but now I can love and adore Sarah too! That is awesome! Sarah, I am so proud of you for running a half marathon! I still remember your treadmill post! you rock girlfriend!

Christy said...

that was the most touching thing I have ever read. Thank you for sharing.

The Brush Family said...

ahhhhh. where did you ever find such a nice hubby? glad he's home safe and sound. she's miserable without you.